Friday, July 11, 2008

geclipse: a nice grid UI at last?

I've just been playing around with geclipse and I like what I see. It wraps up the fiddly business of VOMs proxies, information system queries, etc. so you don't have to worry about them. Once I'd downloaded the latest milestone release via eclipse's update manager and set up a VO I was able to submit a job. The WMS was discovered from the information system. They use JSDL to describe jobs, but you fill in the description using dialog boxes -- it can also translate to JDL. There are lots of cool things that I haven't even looked at yet like an interface to amazon ec2 and to local batch systems (to view queues etc.), also visualisation plugins allowing things like interactive jobs.

This looks like a great interface for grid beginners, especially those who're already familiar with eclipse. I knew that sooner or later someone would get round to writing some good software for submitting grid jobs!

No comments: